As expected, the office has gone Bake Off crazy, with Mary and Paul gracing our screens last week to commence a sixth series: yippee!
Getting in the spirit, a friendly competition has begun, seeing the hidden baking talents of the office unveiled and not so talented potentially being ridiculed by their peers..
Each week Perfect Cellar will be giving you exclusive access to the recipes of the winning bakers! We’ll also pair these delicious treats with a recommended vino for you to make and pair from the comfort of your home.
Week 2 saw an intense battle between two chocolatey treats (our bakers know the route to our judges hearts). Both were moist and deliberately under baked, because let's face it the most delicious part of baking is the raw mixture from the bowl! Winning by a landslide, Dom Cleall from Thinkers HQ baked intensely chocolatey brownies, with a generous helping of crunchy walnuts. Our star baker said this winning recipe also won him the prize in GCSE home economics, Mrs Lawson would be so proud!
We've paired Dom's squishy brownies with the delectable sweet Maury from Mas Amiel. This Grenache based nectar of the Gods has a velvet texture and luxurious black forest gateau flavours, making it the perfect partner with rich chocolate.
- 2 x 100g chocolate
- 100g unsalted butter, very soft
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten to mix
- 60g plain flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- Handful of walnuts
- Heat the fan oven to 180°C
- Break up the chocolate. Put into a heatproof bowl and melt gently.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and leave to cool.
- Put the butter and sugar into the bowl of a food mixer and beat until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Spoon the cooled melted chocolate onto the mixture then mix in (make sure it is cool or it will cook the eggs).
- Sift the flour and cocoa onto the mixture and stir in.
- Put into baking tin and place the walnuts on top.
- Bake for 20 mins until firm to the touch but still a bit fudgy.
- Remove the tin from the oven and set on a wire cooling rack.